Stanford's Corporate Culture
Stanford Hotels Corporation is a mid-size, owner-operated company that specializes in the development and management of high quality, full service hotels using a variety of franchise brands. The corporate office is located in San Francisco; however, Stanford Hotels has 13 properties throughout the U.S. comprising three top global brands including Marriott, Starwood and Hilton.
Our goal is to be the "Best of the Brand." Since 1985, Stanford Hotels Corporation believes that high-quality properties, exceptional customer satisfaction, and engaged employees set Stanford Hotels apart from the rest.
The Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown is looking for an experienced Hotel Controller to join their team! The Controller functions as the property's strategic financial business leader. The Controller is responsible for managing the Accounting team and the financial functions of the hotel to include budgeting, forecasting, financial statement preparation, accounts receivable, accounts payable, income audit, and payroll.
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes and ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Develops strategies and executes activities to drive and continuously improve financial results, guest satisfaction, human capital index and market share
- Leverages strong financial expertise, by demonstrating a thorough understanding of the lodging business (hotel operation, industry drivers, challenges, competitors, Hilton's position in the global marketplace) and assertive leadership to influence the strategic direction of the operation, unveil opportunities for growth, optimize allocation of financial resources and drive business results
- Focuses on maximizing the property’s top revenue line by supporting the development of revenue generating strategies for rooms and other areas of the hotel
- Manages the bottom profit line by educating department heads on sales and profit maximization and implications of business decisions and providing analytical decision support and tools
- Effectively manages the execution of finance and accounting responsibilities for the property including development of the annual business plan and operating budget, forecasting, internal controls, financial analysis, cash management, balance sheet reconciliation, financial reporting, P&L accuracy, capital expenditure budget, year end closing, etc.
- Provides strong technical expertise and direction, ensures appropriate controls are in place to manage business risks, manages through reliable systems and processes and works through own team and influences other department managers to drive results
- Develops and retains a diverse Accounting team to provide strong functional expertise and effective financial leadership to the property and the discipline
- Creates and sustains a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable treatment of associates
- Develops a trusting and effective business partnership with property ownership by understanding the management contract, the owner’s perspective and return on investment (ROI) expectations
- Creates the annual operating budget for the property and provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving/productivity opportunities
- Analyzes financial data and market trends and produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business and facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team
- Provides corporate recipients with forecast information in a timely manner
- Puts in place appropriate controls to manage business risks ensuring a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability
- Champions the use of technology to create operational efficiency
- Oversees the acquisition and maintenance of property-based systems
- Monitors systems to ensure accuracy of data and support the achievement of revenue goals
- Analyzes ROI capital projects prior to committing funds and upon completion determines if anticipated results were achieved
- Reconciles balance sheet and ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs
- Reviews audit issues and ensures appropriate corrections are made
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting required
- At least 5 years experience as a Hotel Controller and/or Assistant Controller required
- Must have experience managing a team
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills are essential, together with a working knowledge of back office accounting systems
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are essential
- Required to work mostly day shifts Monday-Friday with some nights and weekends as needed