Conference Services Manager - Sheraton Madison
Location: US - WI - Madison
Conference Services Manager
The position purpose of the Conference Services Manager is to manage, coordinate, and execute group assignments turned over by the Sales Department. Monitor all contractual agreements pertaining to guest room blocks, meeting space, food and beverage and special concessions. Effectively communicate to all hotel departments the information necessary to successfully execute the group’s needs while maintaining a good client relationship.
Manage, coordinate, and execute group assignments turned over by the Sales Department:
- Maintain strong client relations and ensure that conference specifications are communicated and executed for a successful meeting experience for the meeting planner and attendees.
- Monitor conference activities on-site to ensure accurate and timely execution of conference arrangements.
- Perform job responsibilities in accordance with organizational standards.
- Cultivate client partnerships and ensure that all details are communicated and executed for a successful and enjoyable experience for all involved.
- Monitor and manage room blocks according to contract utilizing group history reports and information given by clients to maximize hotel revenue, making adjustments as necessary.
- Review sales contracts as well as other important information, i.e., room block, cutoff date, special concessions and attrition clauses and validate with client.
- Monitor and enforce program deadline dates and work with clients to release meeting space not needed to maximize hotel revenues.
- Recommend enhancements and or upgrades to maximize revenue.
- Engage in site visits and/or other client meetings.
- Produce and distribute conference resume prior to first day of main group arrival and communicate any changes and updated information to hotel departments.
- Participate in weekly Sales Meeting, Operations Meeting, BEO Meeting and any other required meetings relevant to role.
- Check sleeping room and suite block, special room concessions and rates as outlined in contract with group reservations agents, as well as updating group rooms coordinator with any changes.
- Verify credit information submitted in account management software system at point of turnover, to include estimated amount of billing, billing type, and appropriate contact and update information as necessary until departure.
- Participate in Pre/Post Conference meetings and review bill with client.
- Professionally represent the hotel by participating in client and industry functions.
- Continually monitor actions of competitive hotels (product quality improvements, supply changes, pricing strategies, service offerings, etc.).
- Develop and maintain rapport with hotel community and key community contacts to ensure a visible presence in the industry.
- Maintain a Passion & Drive to outperform the competition.
- Attend all department and hotel meetings as necessary.
- Be a leader and a role model to all associates.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as outlined in the Waterton SOPs.
- Perform any other job duties as assigned.
Candidates most successful in this role will display the following characteristics:
- Analytical Skills – Ability to conduct proper research on group rates, food and beverage minimums as well as room rental.
- Sales Skills – Possesses strong ability to influence and/or persuade buying decisions and to close sales or gain commitment from others; creates good rapport and exhibits the ability to grow and maintain key partnerships.
- Communication – Has both verbal and written skills, in order to effectively execute meetings and events this includes keeping the appropriate departments informed with BEO’s and other necessary information; actively listens to extract essential information in order to maximize revenue and execute successful meetings and events.
- Advanced Organizational Skills - Ability to determine priority tasks and maintain strong attention to detail.
- Superior Communication Skills (written & verbal, including phone skills)
- Computer Skills (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Sales Software Knowledge Helpful (i.e. Delphi/SalesPro)
- Professional, Service Oriented Demeanor
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time and work well under pressure
- Strong Attention to Detail & Organizational Skills
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) required - College degree preferred.
- Minimum 1 Year of Management Experience in a similar position within the hospitality industry
- Food & Beverage Menu Knowledge & Pricing strongly preferred
- Superior Selling & Negotiation Skills - Proven ability to close deals
- Must have the ability to work evenings and weekends when events are scheduled
- Must hold a valid driver's license and have the ability to call on potential and current clients
- Must have the ability to walk, stand and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Must have the ability to lift/pull/carry up to 15lbs regularly and up to 30lbs occasionally.
Hospitality is a 24/7 industry therefore, candidates should be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed.
EOE - M/F/D/V/SO