Position: Chief Engineer
Reports To: General Manager
Purpose of the Position:
Coordinate construction, maintenance or repair activities in carpentry, plumbing, masonry, electrical, air
conditioning/heating, and landscaping areas. Manage duties and functions as relates to decision making,
organizing, planning, controlling, communicating and directing the Engineering Department.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Know all emergency procedures (fire, sever weather, bomb threats, guest accidents/illness, etc.).
2. Hire, train and direct all department personnel.
3. Provide efficient use of manpower to manage workload.
4. Provide timely performance appraisals.
5. Provide adequate inventory of parts, supplies, tools and materials for department.
6. Schedule and conduct monthly department meetings.
7. Participate as a member of the hotel’s Executive Committee. Be able to communicate effectively
with the Executive Committee to keep them apprised of pending projects affecting the various
8. Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
9. Efficiently maintain all hotel emergency systems and standards.
10. Understand and follow all federal, state and local laws, codes, and regulations as it relates to hotel,
guests and associates.
11. Solicit and administer all sub-contract work.
12. Produce an accurate annual operating budget for payroll, expenses, utilities and capital
13. Efficiently operate all areas within budgeted guidelines.
14. Promptly provide budget analysis each period.
15. Establish and maintain an efficient inventory and purchasing system.
16. Provide approval for all departmental expenses.
Chief Engineer Job Description
17. Act as a resource for all departments in the hotel.
18. Maintain accurate logs and record for all areas of responsibility.
19. Maintain the hotel facility and related equipment.
20. Maintain current permits and licenses for building and physical plant.
21. Plan and schedule work from orders, drawings and other specifications. Be able to prioritize,
giving higher priority to those items which affect life safety/risk management.
22. Promptly check on work performed and methods employed, workmanship, accuracy and
completeness of work accomplished by maintenance personnel.
23. Promptly establish and conduct job training for maintenance personnel.
24. Continually inspect all areas of the hotel to determine that maintenance standards are being met.
25. Develop effective short and long range plans for capital expenditures involving budget schedules
and manpower projections to correspond with property needs.
26. Implement an efficient full preventive maintenance program.
27. Implement an efficient energy conservation program and monitor the results, ensuring program is
producing desired cost savings.
28. Accurately complete records and reports such as a payroll, purchase orders, and budget sheets in
a timely manner.
29. Recruit, hire and train competent personnel.
30. Co-chair Safety Committee and enforce safety and security policies/procedures.
31. Efficiently maintain equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations and
accepted practices of the trade.
32. Maintain interior and exterior recreational facilities in a professional manner.
33. Maintain grounds to ensure superior curb appeal.
34. Keep vehicles in good operating condition by maintaining mileage and maintenance logs, having
vehicles serviced regularly and doing minor repairs.
35. Maintain accurate inventories of repair parts and consumable supplies to support building
grounds, physical plant and preventative maintenance to minimize down time and to maximize
36. Make timely recommendations for more effective and efficient operation.
37. Keep abreast of new technologies to improve plant building efficiency.
38. Be able to schedule and monitor expenses through careful purchasing systems.
39. Ensure the hotel has all required Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for chemicals which are
determined to be hazardous nature.
40. Implement OSHA Hazcom program and OSHA Lockout/Tagout program as required by law.
41. Complete management company’s life safety requirements on monthly, quarterly or annual basis,
as outlined in company program.
42. Conduct quarterly self-inspections of hotel facilities and grounds.
43. Participate in hotel’s MOD program.
44. Conduct self to reflect the high standards of professionalism within the organization and hotel.
Job Knowledge, Skills and other Requirements:
1. Able to communicate accurately and effectively in verbal and written form with guests and
associates so as to respond accurately and completely to people to give directions, instructions,
information, answer questions provide service as required.
2. Safely climb ladders ands stairs.
3. Understand and efficiently operate advanced electrical, plumbing, refrigeration and boiler
4. Stand/ walk for long periods of time.
5. Lift, climb, bend stoop, twist and reach to quickly and easily handle test equipment, hand tools,
6. Read and understand test equipment, measuring devices, blueprints, schematic drawings and
technical parts breakdown.
7. Accurately write technical specifications.
8. Plan and conduct meetings.
9. Accurately prepare operating budgets, using basic math.
10. Use arithmetic to accurately calculate and maintain records.
11. Use mathematical formulas to accurately calculate technical requirements.
12. Work around heated and/or cold conditions.
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Position Available: Immediately
Bonus Plan: Yes
Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in the location of this job will not be considered.
Management Position: Yes
Hiring Contact: Blanca Dunleavy
Contact Title: HR Director
Address: 1717 Motor Parkway , Hauppauge, NY, 11788, US