A career with Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group opens up a wealth of exciting opportunities for you, both now and for your future development. Our vision is to be widely recognised as the best luxury hotel group in the world. The Group is renowned for creating a culture that provides a motivating and rewarding environment in which to thrive.
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels, resorts and residences. Mandarin Oriental now operates, or has under development, 44 hotels representing over 11,000 rooms in 28 countries, with 18 hotels in Asia, 13 in The Americas and 13 in Europe, Middle East and North Africa. In addition, the Group operates, or has under development, 14 Residences at Mandarin Oriental, connected to the Group's properties. Our award winning property, in the nation's capital, is situated on D.C.'s growing South West waterfront. Commanding monumental views, the property offers 400 guest rooms including 54 suites, and extensive event space. Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. welcomes individuals who are guest centered and devoted to a superior level of service and culture.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington, D.C. is currently seeking an experienced Chef de Cuisine to lead our culinary operations in Muze restaurant. Muze is our all day dining venue, serving and delighting for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Additionally, the Chef de Cuisine will oversee and direct the evening tapas service for Empress Lounge & Bar on a daily basis.
- Under the direction of and reporting to the Executive Chef, s/he will oversee all daily operations and development of Muze restaurant.
- Ensure that all processes and procedures are adhered to according to MOHG Standards.
- Reading, writing and verbal proficiency in the English language.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be a self-motivator and motivator of others.
- Must work in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks at one time; work well under tight deadlines while maintaining professionalism at all times.
- Must have mathematical skills and basic computer software aptitude.
- Serve Safe, Sanitation and HACCP proficiency.
- Able to clearly understand and effectively manage all aspects food, labor and operational cost.
- Culinary Arts degree required with 5-7+ years of culinary experience required; within the candidate's range of experience a minimum of 3 years of culinary management is required.
- Needs to have solid knowledge of various types of cuisine, specialty and restrictive diets, be allergy sensitive and willing to go above and beyond for both internal and external guests at all times. We prefer a candidate who also has experience with Asian menus and Asian food preparation techniques.
- Prior experience working in a union environment is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience working in a hotel environment is desired with a strong preference for luxury experience.
- Ability to meet the following physical requirements: standing/walking for 8+ hours per day; ability to lift 40+ lbs. frequently.
- Attend daily meetings as directed.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the Sous Chef team.
- Menu creation & development.
- Provide excellent communication and feedback to all colleagues on a shift by shift basis.
- Detailed execution and supervision of all mise en place functions ensuring standards are met consistently.
- Expediting and/or work on the line when needed.
- Effectively log and communicate hand over of operations from shift to shift.
- Collaborate with and take direction from the Executive Chef in regard to development and execution of menu items, daily specials, etc.
- Controlling & being accountable to the effort in achieving both Food & Labor Cost Goal.
- Safe and Sound responsibilities per MOHG standards.
- Use the Employee Handbook and union contract as a tool to effectively coach, council and discipline colleagues in a fair and consistent manner per MOHG standards and guidelines.
- Create professional working relationships amongst all fellow colleagues; work together as team mates in order to provide each guest with a delightful and meaningful dining experience.