A career with Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group opens up a wealth of exciting opportunities for you, both now and for your future development. Our vision is to be widely recognised as the best luxury hotel group in the world. The Group is renowned for creating a culture that provides a motivating and rewarding environment in which to thrive.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington, D.C. is currently seeking a dynamic Catering Sales Manager to join our Catering Team.
Reporting to the Director of Catering, the Catering Sales Manager is a customer focused position for both internal and external clients for all aspects of the catering and sales field. Coordinates all aspects from initial inquiry through to booking, planning, obtaining pertinent information relative to events inquired by or booked by client and communicates all event related information to hotel colleagues in an accurate and timely manner. This is to ensure the client receives excellent product, service and value.
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Pillars of Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Departmental Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Guiding Principles and D.E.L.I.G.H.T as part of ensuring Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement.
- Solicit new business in designated markets
- Answer initial inquires within 4 hours and follow up with written response within 12 hours.
- Trace inquiry forms with a follow up call after 2-3 days
- Conduct site inspections of the hotel and its facilities
- Generate proposals
- Generate contracts
- Generate Banquet Event Orders (BEO)
- Generate Group Resumes
- Generate business correspondence
- Generate function room diagrams
- Utilize Delphi system for accurate blocking of events, groups, traces, and generation of BEO'S
- Obtain guarantees for food and beverage functions
- Check Delphi Daily and Weekly reports
- Obtain necessary approvals/permits/insurance certificates for functions not held in ConferenceCenter
- Receive estimated pre-payment for events 7 to 10 days prior and method of payment for additional charges, or submit a direct bill application for corporate events (not including political or fundraising events) as outlined by Accounting
- Organize and attend tastings as approved by Director of Catering. Pass on relevant information to culinary team
- Chair pre-conference and post-conference meetings
- Attend daily departmental meeting
- Attend daily BEO meeting, as necessary
- Communicate all group information/changes to existing information to appropriate hotel colleagues in an accurate and timely manner
- Entertain clients, as appropriate
- Maintain an active trace system for all assigned groups
- Visit all primary and secondary competition
- Remain available to hotel colleagues via radio (with earpiece) while on property and via hotel provided cellular phone at all times
- Audit banquet checks for assigned groups
- Contract business with approved vendors, as appropriate
- Approve payment and provide backup for contracted vendor business
Successful applicants will possess the following required skills and expertise:
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language; excellent communication skills required.
- Superior presentation skills required.
- Prior experience with negotiation and/or contract writing is required.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule in order to accomplish all major responsibilities and tasks including late nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be a self-motivator and motivator of others.
- Must work in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
- Must have mathematical skills, computer aptitude and luxury hotel operation knowledge.
- Knowledge of specific hospitality industry applications is required (Delphi and SMS preferred).
- Must have the ability to relate to all levels of management.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years' experience in role of Catering Sales Manager or Conference Service/Event Manager in a luxury hotel property.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks at one time and possess superior organizational skills.
- Demonstrated expertise with social catering sales such as: weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, corporate galas, etc. strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field is required. A combination of experience and education will be taken into consideration in lieu of a Bachelor's Degree.