Req # 3826BR
Job Title Catering Manager
Position Type Full Time - Regular
Location Name Hotel Commonwealth Boston
Why Us Unscripted Honest Hospitality
At Hotel Commonwealth, we begin with a simple premise. We take cues from each guest to help define how we can be distinctly ‘of service’ to them – it’s a guest-changing philosophy that doesn’t live in a manual, but rather within the DNA of our brand. Unscripted hospitality plays out daily in all we do. It empowers our employees to provide incomparable, authentic service. And it has earned Hotel Commonwealth the distinction of being Boston’s most beloved hotel on Trip Advisor for three consecutive years.
Primary focus is on executing all aspects of event planning including weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, corporate functions, social functions, meetings and other catering business. Event planning includes all aspects of coordination from the signing of an event contract forward, for example, billing requirements, menu planning, Banquet Event Orders, floor plans, client meetings and walk-throughs, menu tastings, all event details, VIP needs, amenities, etc. Assists team in meeting and exceeding revenue goals through upselling, planning/coordinating all components of catering events in a profitable and win-win selling approach. Special projects and other duties as assigned by the Director of Catering or Director of Sales.
*This position will have a start date on or after January 1, 2017.
CUSTOMER SERVICE FOCUS
Achieves a minimum a 90% of productivity goals and 100% of activity goals, as established by management.
- Coordination of all catering events as developed by the Director of Catering. Contact and appropriately follow-up on all signed/contracted business within 5 working days. Determination and coordination of all event planning needs.
- Responsible for effectively communicating with the various departments to ensure that the meeting and related functions are executed to the clients "expectations plus one".
- Key Account Management: Maximizes current hotel key accounts by identifying and developing those that offer revenue growth.
- Acquires referrals from existing accounts: Follows up on all leads within 48 hours of receipt in an effort to create new business for the hotel and, when appropriate, sends leads to other Sage hotels.
- Account retention: Assists in rebooking catering business by building strong, professional customer relationships and providing consistent outstanding customer service.
- Account Service and Management: Maintains well-documented, accurate, organized and up-to-date file management in order to serve client and employer in the most expedient, organized and knowledgeable manner.
- Develops customer profiles and maintains as effective trace system including trace dates and references, in order to best meet client needs, resulting in superior account service and increased revenues.
- Develops strong customer relationships through appropriate client communication and the use of professional, courteous and ethical interpersonal interaction.
- Promptly, the same day or by 10am the next business day, follows-up on all customers’ needs and inquires in an efficient and expedient manner.
- Time Management: Focuses on revenue-producing activity and maximizes selling time through retainingaccounts/customers, maximizing account yield opportunities and direct sales effectiveness.
- Professionalism: Controls expenses on the property's behalf in order to minimize department and hotel costs. Maximizes return on all investments. Represents themselves and the hotel with the highest level of integrity and professionalism, a service -focused approach and a caring, sincere attitude at all times.
Exhibits a positive and involved team attitude to all hotel departments and maintains open communications with all coworkers for the best overall performance of the hotel. Display a neat, clean and business-like appearance at all times
- Contributes to the hotel's overall sales effort during planning and strategy phases through research and knowledgeable input.
- Weekend and evening coverage as required by events and business demands. Community/Trade Involvement: Actively participates in those community and trade organizations that most benefit the hotel's exposure to the community and the hotel's bottom line.
- Performs other duties as assigned or deemed necessary by leadership.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES - None
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
Two years minimum catering or event planning experience required, preferably at a Boston hotel.
General office equipment; computer, typewriter, copier, facsimile, telephone, calculator, etc. Proficiency in Delphi and Microsoft Office highly desirable.
Office environment, weather exposure when making sales calls or executing outdoor events.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.