Req #: 5624BR
Job Title: Café Attendant
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
Location Name: Ritz Carlton Chicago
Iconic architecture, a thriving culinary scene, beautifully landscaped public spaces and an array of museums are just part of what draws visitors to the Windy City. At The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, a luxury hotel set atop Water Tower Place in the historic Gold Coast, guests will have every chance to explore the city, from shopping along Michigan Avenue to viewing famous works at the Art Institute. Yet with our hotel’s spa, rooftop lounge, locally inspired restaurant, indoor lap pool and spacious accommodations overlooking the city, guests may not want to leave the premises.
Recognized as “the gold standard” of hospitality, The Ritz-Carlton selects only the most passionate and skilled hospitality professionals. And as one of our Ladies and Gentlemen, you will reflect the values that make us the world’s finest luxury brand. Here, in a diverse environment where individual aspirations are fulfilled and quality of life is enhanced, you will be inspired to work alongside your fellow employees to bring special moments to life for our guests and each other.
The Barista is the foundation of the café. The Barista is responsible for honoring each and every customer by providing excellent customer service and a high quality product. The Barista is a true professional that displays a positive attitude at all times to ensure the return of our customers who are the reason for our business.
1. Develops enthusiastically satisfied customers all of the time.
- Welcomes and connects with every customer.
- Discover customer needs and appropriately suggests product with every customer to
- enhance service and meet sales goals.
- Offers customer demonstrations and samples using brewing equipment.
- Customers creates opportunities for customer to interact with the product.
- Responds to customer needs and says thank you to every customer.
- Demonstrates the "Just Say Yes" behavior by taking care of customer needs.
2. Provides quality beverages consistently for all customers
- Prepares Starbucks beverages to standards.
- Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products.
3. Maintains Quality store operations
- Follows store policy and procedures for operational flow at each station.
- Follows standards for merchandising, stocking, rotating and storing products.
- Performs cleaning tasks in accordance with the duty rosters and cleaning standards and
- works as a store team member.
- Presents oneself professionally and demonstrates clear communication by using Star
- Skills with all customer and partner interactions.
4. Contributes to store profitability
- Follows cash handling procedures and cash register policies.
- Follows inventory stocking and recording guidelines.
- Contributes to store goals for increasing sales and improving profits.
5. Takes responsibility to learn all aspects of the barista position
- Is responsible for self-initiated learning.
- Learns and demonstrates creating the Starbucks Experience.
- Learns and demonstrates all performance standards listed in the Core Learning Journey
Dealing with Ambiguity
Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Genuinely cares about people; is concerned about their work and non-work problems; is available and ready to help; is sympathetic to the plight of others not as fortunate; demonstrates real empathy with the joys and pain of others.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Must have excellent customer service skills.
Must have minimal hearing to hear timers; coordinate with other baristas.
Must have moderate vision to check food quality.
Must have speech communication skills to read production charts/recipes.
Ability to interact with guests in a positive, hospitable manner.
Ability to read, understand and follow written instructions.
Numerical ability to use the cash register/collect money with accuracy.
Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
Position regularly involves lifting product cases weighing up to 70 lbs. Pushing and pulling carts is required.
Regular bending to lift items and supplies. No kneeling.
Mobility - regularly moves all around the coffee shop.
High school education or equivalent experience.
Previous experience in a customer service role strongly preferred.
Chemicals/Agents: Bleach, Lime Away, grease cutter, all purpose, floor cleaners
Protective Clothing: Hair restraint/hat, gloves, apron and safety shoes as required by State
Knife, cutting board, toaster, slicer, blenders, coffee and espresso machines
Standard restaurant equipment including but not limited to coffee machines, ice machines, toasters and beverage dispensers. Broom, mop, vacuum and carpet shampooer. Continual exposure to hazardous chemicals used for cleaning.
Physically strenuous -prolonged standing, walking, lifting and carrying throughout entire shift in indoor environment.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.