Do you want to be part of the exciting revitalization of Detroit? Aparium Hotel Group is looking for a Banquet Sous Chef that shares our vision for a new Detroit, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for celebrating the community through arts, events and food. The Foundation Hotel is at the forefront of the renewal of the Motor City. A transformation of the former Detroit Fire Department Headquarters and adjacent Pontchartrain Wine Cellar building, The Foundation will be the top hotel in the market with authentic inspiration, design, and programming that respects Detroit’s past, yet is looking forward through its revival.
The food and beverage programming includes a three-meal restaurant and bar with approximately 200 covers positioned to be among the top restaurants in the region. The hotel’s restaurant presents iconic New American cuisine, and with space that serves as an incubator for culinary students, up and coming chefs and visiting culinary influencers. The elevated bar program focuses on collaboration with Michigan breweries and distillers.
The hotel features approximately 4500 square feet of meeting space, including a rooftop ballroom and a unique podcast studio. The 100-room hotel opened on May 15, 2017.
Aparium Hotel Group has a strong point of view on translocal hospitality – delivering communal experiences unique to each location. We believe in intuitive service, empowering our associates to deliver unique experiences for guests.
As a member of the Culinary team, you will be part of a hotel unlike anything else in the area. In this unique role, the Banquet Sous Chef will be involved in planning, such as team recruitment and department set up.
- Possesses a strong background/knowledge of classic French technique
- Motivates and coaches all associates on the Kitchen’s food production team to ensure that all established standards are met
- Completes mis en place and sets up station for banquets, breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner service
- Checks pars for shift use, out-of-stock items or possible shortages
- Assists in setting up plans and actions to correct any food cost problems
- Ensures correct preparation and presentation of a consistent level through production and demonstration
- Controls labor and operating expenses
- Ensures sanitation standards that are set forth by the hotel, local, state and federal regulations are in compliance
- Utilizes checklist before and after each meal period
- Constantly recommends service and product improvement regarding all aspects of the menu, ingredients, preparation and execution
- Manages the daily ordering process
- Good reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language
- College degree preferable
- 3-5 years previous experience in multiple culinary/food and beverage department head positions
- Thorough understanding of excellent service, labor control, maintenance, merchandising and accounting
- Computer literate
- Lead by example and foster mentoring relationships
- Outstanding verbal and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent knowledge of food, wine and cocktails
- Maintain a good working relationship with other associates by promoting teamwork and fostering a harmonious working climate
- Partake in a positive work ethic and surrounding environment
- Able to work alone without direct supervision
- Demonstrate high degree of drive and determination
- Constantly recommend service and product improvement to better the operation
- Attend all required meetings
- Follow proper payroll and uniform procedures
- Properly handle and report associate and guest accidents
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards
- Assist with responsibilities and duties in other departments and as assigned by management
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel
- Standard restaurant setting
- Standard kitchen setting
- Standard Event setting
- Standard Room Service setting
- Continuous standing and walking
- Negotiating wet tile floor and steps
- Fine motor coordination is needed to pour beverages, decorate cocktails and folding napkins
- Trays weigh 25lb.
- Carts: 250 lbs. (12-20 lbs. of push/pull force required)
- Hot box: 20 lbs.
- Banquet Tables
- Banquet Chairs
- Standing and walking is continuous for 4-5 hours at a time
- Lifting and carrying 25 lb. tray, crate or box is occasional
- Negotiating varied floor surfaces is continuous
- Carrying over shoulder is occasional
- Hand and elbow movements for polishing glassware, silver, setting up tables, shacking, pouring and mixing drinks
- Pushing Room Service cart continuous
- Lifting and carry hot boxes continuous
- Rolling and/or carry Banquet tables continuous
- Carrying stackable banquet chairs by loading the cart continuous
- Excellent sight and balance needed for negotiating varied floor surfaces, handling lighted candles, and handling hot fluids (coffee and tea)
- Excellent speech and hearing to interact with guests
- Excellent sight for completion of paperwork
Aparium Hospitality Services, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. The Detroit Foundation Hotel is a smoke-free, drug-free facility, and equal opportunity employer.