Doubletree Pittsburgh/Monroeville Convention Center
Location: US - PA - Monroeville
Monroeville, PA, US 15146
Responsible for directing, controlling, and managing the operation of the Banquet Department. Responsible for successful execution of all banquet functions. Oversees staff, provides training and responsible for all matters pertaining to associates such as hiring, firing, change of employment status, etc.
- Trains all associates in the Banquet Department how to perform their job duties to the best of their abilities.
- Schedules, evaluates and directs all personnel. Knows the upcoming events and how to schedule accordingly.
- Keeps "open communication" between management and associates.
- Provides disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides associates with the tools they need to perform their jobs.
- Takes immediate action on problems that are encountered in the Banquet Department.
- Participates in the following:
monthly department meetings
weekly staff meetings
weekly Banquet Department meetings
monthly Banquet Department inventory
- Ensures customer satisfaction by communicating with guests to follow through with special requests, instructions, and complaints. Meets group contacts immediately so they know who to speak to for any requests or problems. Makes appropriate recovery gestures to ensure total guest satisfaction.
- Makes arrangements for equipment prior to the staff’s arrival for room set up. Ensures equipment is in proper operational condition. Participates in the organization of the physical set up of all banquet activities as requested on the BEO's.
- Meets with kitchen staff and inspects food prior to serving for quality. Ensures agreement of delivery times, amounts, and coordinates delivery of food.
- Communicates, counsels and directs the Banquet staff on the performance of their jobs. Conducts pre-function meeting and assigns job duties, side work and stations to staff. Informs staff of special requests or special instructions. Makes sure side work is completed prior to staff departure and all equipment is returned and properly stored.
- Participates with the inventory of stock used for operating supplies such as glass, china, silver, A/V equipment, etc.
- Assumes the responsibility for guest satisfaction as it relates to the following:
all functions beginning on time.
personally introduces self to the guests or at least the contact person for every function.
open communication with the Kitchen staff concerning special requests, cover counts, etc.
extends all billing and presents to the guest for signature.
- Participates in the responsibility for ensuring the maintenance of all banquet equipment, proper handling. Secure all banquet areas.
- Responsible for the complete sanitation of all banquet rooms, service areas and storage areas. Design a cleaning chart and enforce its usage.
- Orders any audio/visual equipment if needed for a function.
- Communicates with the Director of Catering on progress and concerns with the Banquet Department.
- Oversees Banquet personnel and directs and assists the Banquet staff in room set up and breakdown for all banquet activities including In-House functions. Ensures that all equipment is set up correctly and inspects room for accuracy, cleanliness, attractiveness and proper layout.
- Advises Director of Catering of daily problems, needs and utilizes all available resources to maximize profits, develop quality service and reduce costs.
- Ensures all paperwork needed by Accounting and other departments for the correct assessment of monies spent daily, and product control is finished correctly and turned in, i.e., billings from functions.
- Accountability for achieving cost goals in the area of sales, labor and expenses.
- Interviews and hires new personnel when needed.
- Completes personnel paperwork, banquet reviews, hires, job transfers, warning notices, counseling sessions, and terminations as required.
- Conducts self to reflect the high standards of professionalism within the Prospera Hospitality Management Company organization.
- Learns, understands and refers to the Standards Operating Procedures.
- Responsible for developing performance standards, procedures and rules used to ensure safe work habits and a safe work environment.
- Conducts regularly scheduled training sessions on proper and safe work habits.
- Reviews loss control goals and discusses at department meetings.
- Conducts monthly formal inspections in Banquet Department to identify hazards and follow up with corrective actions.
- Provides for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
To Do This Kind of Work You Must Be Able To:
- Use arithmetic to check banquet revenues, cash out associates, forecast payroll and revenue and aid in budget process.
- Talk with guests, associates and peers to give information, answer questions and provide required services.
- Stand and walk for varying lengths of time, sometimes for long periods.