It’s a powerful feeling, to belong. It’s inspiring people to do more than they thought they could. It’s leading the way by rolling up your sleeves to accomplish a common goal. It’s taking a passion and turning it into your vision. Belonging is what it feels like to work at Marriott. If this sounds like the place for you, join us.
The Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center located at 9751 Washingtonian Blvd, Gaithersburg, MD, 20878 is currently hiring an AsstChef-Sous (NE).
Responsibilities include: Management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. Leads staff while personally assisting in all areas of the kitchen, including food production; purchasing and kitchen sanitation. Position contributes to ensuring guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 5 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 3 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
• Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
• Ensures all employees have proper supplies, equipment and uniforms.
• Performs all duties of Culinary and related kitchen area employees in high demand times.
• Oversees production and preparation of culinary items.
• Ensures employees keep their work areas clean and sanitary.
• Works with Restaurant and Banquet departments to coordinate service and timing of events and meals.
• Communicates areas in need of attention to staff and follows up to ensure follow through.
• Supports and assists with new menus, concepts and promotions for the Restaurant outlets and Banquets.
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
Supervising Daily Culinary Team Activities
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Ensures completion of assigned duties.
• Coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Handles employee questions and concerns.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Conducts employee performance appraisal process, giving feedback as needed.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
• Participates in an on-going employee recognition program.
• Monitors employee's progress towards meeting performance expectations.
• Conducts training when appropriate.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Follows specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Monitors staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Places orders for appropriate supplies and manages food and supply inventories according to budget.
• Participates in department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from supervisor as necessary.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
• Reports malfunctions in department equipment.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
To submit your application for this job, please go to:
Marriott International is consistently recognized as an employer of choice around the globe by FORTUNE and Working Mother magazines, DiversityInc, Great Places to Work Institute, and the CRF institute among others. Visit our newsroom to learn more: news.marriott.com
Connect and network online with us:
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.