Assistant General Manager - Aloft Beachwood
Location: US - OH - Beachwood
Assistant General Manager
The role of the Assistant General Manager is to assist the General Manager in administering and managing the hotel’s operation, maintaining established costs and quality standards. This role is responsible for the hotel operation in the absence of the General Manager.
Manage the operations of the hotel in order to maximize profitability and to ensure superior guest service and product quality:
- Develop and implement operating procedures and standards that support associates in their effort to deliver exceptional service and teamwork.
- Control costs by adhering to standards of operation for forecasting, budgeting, scheduling, payroll control and other expense management systems.
- Manage labor costs, food controls, equipment maintenance and training leading to increased profitability.
- Maintain the highest standard of services to the guests, including maintenance and cleanliness for the guests’ rooms and associated facilities
- Maintain the highest standards of security for hotel guests and associates.
- Maintain the highest standards of quality and service in all hotel department(s).
- Direct and coordinate the Rooms and F&B Division.
- Conduct associate performance evaluations as prescribed and ensure that all associates are trained for their positions to maximize service, production and efficiency; control staffing, maximize profits, control costs and ensure the security of the operation.
- Clearly describe, assign, and delegate responsibility and authority for the operation of the various sub-departments under the General Manager’s supervision.
- Conduct appropriate meetings and coordinate with the other department heads to ensure that proper communication leads to guest satisfaction and maximum profit and productivity.
- Plan, organize, staff, direct and operate the hotel in the absence of the General Manager, following company policies and procedures.
Create guest satisfaction by providing associates with the training and resources they need to maximize associates engagement and deliver exceptional service and teamwork:
- Communicate and reinforce the vision for exceptional service to associates.
- Ensure that associates provide genuine hospitality and teamwork on an ongoing basis.
- Seek opportunities to improve the guest experience by seeking guest feedback, reviewing management reports and developing strategies to improve department and hotel services.
- Provide associates with the tools, training and environment they need to deliver exceptional service and teamwork.
- Forward planning and organization to include training, maintenance, forecasting and development of team and bus
- Direct the selection process, interviewing all potential candidates for hire according to established needs.
Develop and implement strategies and practices which support associate engagement:
- Ensure associates receive the orientation and training needed to understand expectations and perform job responsibilities by close and direct follow up with department heads.
- Communicate performance expectations and provide associates with on-going feedback. Firm, direct and self-assured in associate communications.
- Provide associates with coaching and counseling as needed to achieve performance objectives and reach their fullest potential.
Candidates most successful in this role will display the following characteristics:
- Strategic Thinking – Able to look at the “big-picture”, focused on tactical aspects of the job, with emphasis on schedule and quality; sets and achieves high standards for self and others; possesses a strong initiative and a sense of urgency; has the ability to make decisions and take responsibility for them; reacts and adjusts quickly to changing conditions and comes up with practical ideas for dealing with them; effectively weighs risk against the benefit; while not cautious, a calculated decision maker.
- Leadership – Authoritative and direct leadership style that encourages results-driven, task-oriented collaboration; directed at getting things done quickly. Able to handle a great deal of challenge and pressure; people and problems are handled with confidence and determination.
- Organizational Support – Faster-than-average pace of work; recognizes and adjusts to change; maintains control of overall agenda, but includes others in a task-focused manner; creates a disciplined process.
- Professionalism - Lively and incisive communicator; can effectively stimulate influence on others, while being firm, direct, and self-assured in dealing with them.
- Excellent Communication Skills - Written & Verbal (English required, other languages helpful)
- Moderate to advanced computer skills to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor’s Degree strongly desired, preferably in Hotel/Restaurant or Business Administration, or equivalent education/experience.
- 4+ years of progressive, related experience required. Previous hotel Department Head experience required, previous Dir. of F&B and/or Dir. of Rooms experience highly desired.
- Travel will be required within the U.S. occasionally. Approximate travel time is up to 10%.
- Valid Drivers’ License Required.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to relate to, communicate with, and motivate associates to sustain high performance and quality levels.
- Demonstrated ability to improve the speed and direction of decisions by clarifying and setting goals, sharing perspectives on reality, identifying options, and creating consensus on a way forward (action steps).
Hospitality is a 24/7 industry therefore, candidates should be able to work weekends and holidays as needed.
EOE - M/F/D/V/SO