The Assistant Front Office Manager is the Manager on Duty and responsible for all hotel operations during evening shift hours, focusing on Front Office operations, proper guest follow-up, all other evening shift associates and hotel safety/security. The AFOM assists the Front Office Manager in all aspects of the department including but not limited to operations, planning, budgeting, staffing and payroll in accordance with hotel policies and procedures. When problems arise during this shift, the Night Manager will respond to all emergency situations, resolve guest issues and concerns, and ensure the safety and security of the hotel’s guests and associates.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Manage and monitor activities of all employees in the Front Office, Drivers, Housekeeping/Laundry, Maintenance and F&B departments making sure they adhere to the standards of excellence and to the guidelines set in the employee handbook, hotel policies and procedures, coaching, training and correcting where needed.
• Maintain a professional and high quality service oriented environment at all times.
• Act as manager on duty for the hotel in the absence of the Front Office Manager dealing with complaints, problem solving, disturbances, special requests and any other issues that may arise.
• Manage the night shift in the department ensuring all employees perform the tasks assigned to them and coordinate Front Office activities with other departments.
• Inform all Overnight staff of nightly activities, group and VIP arrivals as well as special requests and repeat guests. Check accommodations, making sure any special requests are carried out accordingly, greet guests upon arrival and ensure escort to accommodations if appropriate.
• Must be able to do scheduling, payroll and other paperwork
• Must actively participate in the decision making process on guest relocation for nights when over capacity, execute accordingly and ensure a smooth relocation process. This effort must be coordinated with the Front Office Manager and/or Manager on Duty prior to shift start.
• Assist the Front Office Manager in implementing and enforcing financial controls throughout the department, helping with control of operating expenses, scheduling and purchasing.
• Work closely with the Housekeeping Department to improve guest services and foster cross departmental communication.
• Be aware and able to enforce all fire-life-safety procedures. Remain current in all updates with regards to new procedures and training. Ensure staff is fully trained in emergency procedures. This position is a member of the hotel’s emergency response team.
• Report any suspicious persons, activities and/or hazardous conditions to the Security department and/or the Front Office Manager.
• Perform regular room and public space inspections on a nightly basis.
• Complete pre-shift meetings with all departments and insure communication continues throughout the hotel.
• Complete SALT tracking and develop/deliver on Continuous Service Improvement Plans involving staff in each department.
• Follow up for other department heads in project work and staff productivity.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Basic leadership skills including coaching, motivating, counseling, and disciplining.
• Ability to use computer keyboard, telephone, and electronic equipment to meet requests effectively.
• Ability to communicate all significant incidents/accidents in clear English language, utilizing excellent writing skills.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to diffuse anger and collect accurate information and professionally resolve problems.
• Considerable knowledge of all departments’ functionality, hotel facilities/services, as well as city and current events.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Good hearing and visual ability in order to detect signs of emergency.
• High school diploma required.
• Prior hotel experience required, prior supervisory experience preferred.
• Conflict resolution skills.
• Multi-tasking skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines and work toward department goals.
• Ability to stand and move throughout front office and continuously performs essential job functions.
• Lifting up to 50 pounds maximum.
• Occasional twisting, bending, stooping, reaching, standing, walking.
• Frequent talking, hearing, seeing and smiling.