Cook 1 - A la carte
The Westchester Country Club
Location: US - NY - Rye
Rye, NY, US 10580
LOCATION: Westchester Country Club, Rye, New York
JOB TITLE: Full Time Cook – Cook 1 Skill level
REPORTS TO: Outlet Sous Chef, Outlet Chef, Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef
SUPERVISES: Some supervisory duties are included in this position.
COMPENSATION: Non-exempt Hourly compensation (overtime eligible)
BENEFITS: Paid time off, Medical and dental after 60 days, 401K after 1 year, Daily Meal
Requiring minimal supervision, a cook 1 will complete most all culinary tasks and instruct lower level cooks of how to complete their work. A cook 1 is responsible for all of the tasks of a cook 2 and 3. A cook 1 will assist the Chef or Sous Chef with menus, planning, coordination and other tasks as required. A Cook 1 is considered a supervisor in training and will be involved in recipe development and creation of specials. A cook 1 will be utilized as necessary throughout the operation.
A cook 1 is required to have more than 5 years industry experience or a degree from a recognized Culinary college and 2 years experience not including externship or internship
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Carefully follow standard recipes while preparing assigned items for food service.
- Prepare and cook all food items as laid out in the menu and in accordance with the specifications on the prep sheet
- Handle line assignments as scheduled (station prep and station service)
- Mise en place
- Check condition of equipment; obtain necessary utensils, tools and supplies
- Handles leftover food items as instructed by the Chef.
- Returns soiled food preparation utensils and small ware items to the proper areas.
- Cleans assigned work station areas.
- Consistently uses safe and sanitary food handling practices according to Local Health and State Laws.
- Any other task as defined by supervisor
The above list of essential job functions describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
- Adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Culinary Department Guidelines and Mission statement)
- Carry out all reasonable requests made by the Outlet Sous Chef, Outlet Chef, Executive Sous Chef or the Executive Chef in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: flexible, up to 60 hours a week, including weekends, nights, early AM shifts and holidays.
- Employee is expected to act professionally at all times
- Precision and efficiency are a must
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Graduate of a Culinary Degree (Associate or Bachelors degree) with at least 2 years of industry experience not including internships or externships or Previous industry experience of at least 5 years.
- Up to date Food Handlers / Sanitation license, preferred, with clear understanding and commitment to impeccable Sanitation practices.
- Desire to continue growth and knowledge.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Must be well versed in culinary terms.
- Thorough understanding of proper cooking methods.
- Clear understanding of knife work.
- Able to read labels and understand HACCP and MSDS material training guidelines
Language and Communication Skills:
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in the English language.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish – a plus
Physical, sensory and motor demands:
- Able to move fast and multi-task in a fast paced, high stress / pressure environment (Heat and Action)
- Frequent Standing for extended periods of time.
- Frequent Walking to collect or deliver goods in various kitchens and or reception areas (buffet or station set ups).
- Regular Lifting up to 50 Lbs.
- Must possess good physical fitness, visual acuity and sense of smell to work in the kitchen and bake shop safely.