Banquet Sous Chef
The Westchester Country Club
Location: US - NY - Rye
Rye, NY, US 10580
The Westchester Country Club, built in 1922 is currently a Platinum Club. It is a sportsman paradise with two 18-hole Golf courses and a 9 hole Executive course, with 75 Hotel rooms, Luxury Suites, and 52 Luxury Apartments, several fine dining outlets and an extensive Banquet operation, including a beautiful Beach Club, state of the art Squash and Tennis facilities, home of the world renowned PGA Classic for over 40 years and hosting the Senior Players Championship in 2011. The Club is known worldwide and in the USA for its food program and Golf.
Westchester Country Club is conveniently located 30 miles North of New York City! Join our diverse and talented team today!
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Banquet Chef
SUPERVISES: All Main Club Culinary Staff Including Seasonal Beach Front and Back of the House.
COMPENSATION: Non Exempt position
This position is responsible for all culinary areas in the Main kitchen to include Banquet and Catering production, cold room, Employee dining room preparation and support in stocks and bases for food outlets. In season this position also oversees the production of offsite club events to include Beach club and special events, golf outings and snack bars. This position may also require covering other areas or off site events and may be assigned other culinary duties as per Westchester Country Club business needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for training of Culinary, BOH staff on new menu items, menu descriptions and kitchen procedures.
- Oversee all production staff to ensure adherence to recipes and use records, as well as adherence to butchering guidelines (tracking yields)
- Participate in daily pre- shift meetings in order to answer FOH staff questions daily; educate on ingredients in menus
- Ability to work and or oversee any BOH Culinary or stewarding hourly position as well as receiving food and culinary department goods.
- Responsible for executing daily purchasing according to par levels, ensure that invoices are being coded to the appropriate accounts and are not exceeding budget. Work with Controller to supervise Receiver of food position.
- Responsible for maintaining the highest sanitation level in the culinary department by enforcing weekly and daily audits and closing lists.
- Responsible for adhering to all state, county and city sanitation standards. Must train and uphold standards with the other department BOH staff on proper food handling and sanitation procedures daily.
The above list of essential job functions describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
- Embody Leadership role through impeccable line of conduct and crisp, professional appearance (Full White Chef’s Uniform, closed toe shoes with anti slip soles) at all times, especially when interacting with members and staff
- Adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Culinary Department Guidelines and Mission statement)
- Carry out all reasonable requests made by the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef and the Banquet Chef, in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: Flexible to work overtime, particularly during high season (May-Sept). Some weeks may include working 6 or sometimes 7 days.
- Available to work Weekends, Nights, Early AM shifts and Holidays.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position.
Education and Experience:
- Culinary Degree preferred and or minimum 4 Years in a Culinary Supervisory position with a large staff
- Must have a Food Handlers / Sanitation license.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Well versed in Culinary Terms and well –rounded in various line cook positions and roles (Prep, Line, production, pastry as well as Steward, Utility and Receiver).
- Computer Proficient in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel, MS Outlook MS Word)
- Previous knowledge of Jonas POS System preferred
- Able to read labels and understand HACCP and MSDS material training guidelines
- Previous use of a costing program preferred.
Language and Communication Skills:
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in English language.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish – a plus