Four Seasons debuts new Research and Discovery Studio
A New Creative Workspace
Excellence starts with hiring people with the right skills and a commitment to superior customer service, but the experience you provide has to keep evolving, and companies have to keep innovating. The Four Seasons recently launched their new “Research and Discovery Studio” at the company’s global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, to explore cutting-edge ideas and test state-of-the-art delivery. The R&D Studio is a global resource where employees from across the entire organization can come together to simulate challenges, explore ideas to meet those challenges and find inspiration.
At the Studio, Four Seasons’ team members collaborate across all aspects of hospitality: housekeeping, food service, lighting, color schemes, room décor and layout, staff wardrobes, complimentary bath products, etc., to find ideal combinations to create the best experience for guests. The communal meeting spaces and full-function testing areas allow for plenty of exploration and inspiration to enhance a property’s exclusive personality.
At the R&D Studio, Four Seasons' managers and their team members can explore a variety of experiences by utilizing the fully-equipped work stations to find the best solutions for their specific needs.
At the Studio
The work area includes:
- A fully-functional bar to test coffee and cocktail recipes and experiment with new flavor combinations
- The famous Four Season Bed to explore bedding options
- A designer workshop to sample and display potential employee wardrobes
- A table-top staging area to experiment with tableware, cutlery and glassware
- Testing stations to identify the scents and aesthetics of bathroom amenities
- A “Modular Room” where you can build 3-dimensional, scaled-down model guest rooms made of cardboard. This is the centerpiece of the studio and can be customized with beds, closets, tables and chairs so you can easily re-arrange furniture and design custom layouts to discover what works best and what needs refinement.
Dana Kalczak, Vice President of Design at Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, explains, “The R&D Studio is a critical tool for us because it allows us to make detailed decisions in a holistic environment.” Kalczak adds, “We use the R&D Studio to explore rooms that can serve multiple purposes – rooms that give our guests greater freedom and control to use the space as they choose. … You no longer need to sit at a rectangular wooden desk to ‘work’ – you can just as easily email and take calls from a sofa or from the bed.”
A Virtual “Sandbox” for Exploration
The Four Seasons R&D Studio is an opportunity to examine, observe and practice creative ideas in a test environment to learn from experiments without the expense of real trial and error. It’s a “sandbox” for all departments to work together to build a unique, cohesive and effective plan to present guests with an outstanding and memorable stay at a Four Seasons property.