The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE): Get your Hospitality Management degree in NYC
School of Hospitality Management
The hospitality industry is booming and has a wide variety of career paths that span the country and the world. With the right skills, education and support, you can set your sites on success in hotel and restaurant management, tourism, conference and event centers, resorts and much more.
The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) was founded in 1975 and is recognized by top chefs and other hospitality pros as a premier training ground for future culinary careers and job placements. ICE has won the IACP award for “Culinary School of Excellence” in multiple years and the staff and alumni regularly win top industry awards.
Their mission is to inspire students to reach their full potential in an environment that “fosters excellence, critical thinking, and creativity.” ICE is a large and richly diverse school with students attending fr om all over the world. For a taste of what happens on a typical day at ICE, watch this video tour of the redesigned, state-of-the-art facilities located in downtown Manhattan.
You’ll earn a diploma from The Hospitality Management Program at ICE within 13 months and have the opportunity to build on that to obtain an Associate’s Degree from their partner school, Excelsior College.
New York is a great place to pursue your education in hospitality management: it is a melting pot of cultures and a vibrant center for tourism and hospitality. You’ll find everything from high-end boutique hotels to chains that cater to the budget-conscious. There are plenty of opportunities to grow and learn from the best New York has to offer.
Learning Real World Skills
ICE’s program of classes includes a unique mix of classroom work, guest lectures, field trips, and role-playing. Once you completed your initial 438 hours of instruction, you’ll select from a list of hotels or other hospitality enterprises to complete your 200-hour externship experience.
You’ll build a broad foundation for your career with classes in sales, marketing, human resources, management and more. You’ll explore the hospitality industry from the accounting and finance point of view, learning about pricing, payroll and operations of both front and back office duties. In the food service sector, you’ll design menus, plan events and participate in public relations activities.
You’ll also gain experience with the technological aspects of current industry practices. You’ll learn the latest software and management systems, including extensive Micros OPERA System training as well as other current tools.
Highlights of the Hospitality Management Program at ICE
- ICE offers a state- of-the-art facility in one of America’s culinary capitals.
- You’ll gain hands-on experience to fit your professional and personal goals through your externship while networking with professionals in your industry.
- 86% of ICE graduates win job placements in their field of choice.
- You’ll explore global cuisines with ingredients sourced from purveyors to the finest NY restaurants.
- The business side of hospitality includes field trips and guest lectures from successful entrepreneurs.
- The instructors and faculty are selected from active consultants who have held executive positions and have real world experience.
- There are plenty of opportunities to attend guest chef demonstrations, explore wine education and volunteer with professional chefs at external events held in the city.
For more information, visit the school’s website at http://www.ice.edu/career-programs/school-of-hospitality