How to Find More Meaning at Your Job in 2019
No matter what your title, job description or industry, you can find meaning in your work, even if it’s not obvious that you’re saving lives, rescuing the planet or fostering world peace. You can find meaning in any job. Finding your purpose and making an impact takes commitment and some soul-searching, but is an important element in finding meaning in your work life.
How will you make an impact? How can you put your talent and gifts to use? It’s not just about “doing what you love.” You need to examine your interests and think about how you want to help others. It’s a little more about giving than taking. You be able to tell what your purpose is by figuring out where your personality, interests and skills overlap.
Be mindful of the things you do each day and understand how you fit into the big picture. It’s not about “what” you do; it’s about “why” you do it. In the hospitality industry, you have an opportunity to witness first-hand how your work impacts your guests. When you provide an extra service, assist in solving a problem or elevate someone’s experience, you’re embracing your purpose. It’s a balancing act between committing to exceptional service and sharing your gifts in a way that’s meaningful to others.
How can you make a difference to your co-workers and guests? Here are some tips:
- Don’t be satisfied with the status quo: go above and beyond to think of new ways to serve your guests and help your team.
- Try new ways of doing the same tasks: innovate and ask questions. How can you streamline the work? Where can we save time/money? Look at the big picture.
- Take a long term view: be patient and dedicated to your craft. Become a master at what you do and act as a resource to others.
- Focus on the guest experience: zoom in on what really matters and do something that makes a difference.
- Get feedback: ask your colleagues as well as your boss for feedback. When you have a great idea, share it and include others in implementing changes.
- Don’t make excuses: find a way to deliver your best work regardless of how you’re day is going. Have a positive attitude and push yourself to do better. Find satisfaction in your accomplishments.
- Enjoy your “work community:” forge friendships at work and experience a sense of community with the people you work with every day. Belonging is a powerful benefit in work satisfaction.
- Craft your work: find a way to make your work fit into your sense of meaning. Can you adapt your job to suit a purpose you value? Get creative with your tasks, add some “flare” to what you do or learn more details about where you live, the history of the area, fun things to do off the beaten path, etc. and share that with your guests.
- Help others: take a new co-worker under your wing; show someone a new way to do a task or just do it with them to make it go faster.
- Remember why you’re working. Keep in mind that you’re investing in your future, learning a variety of skills to see where you fit best in your future career. Maybe you’re saving for a house, or supporting a child or aging parents – why does your work matter?
Being “happy” isn’t the only way to enjoy your work and your life. Finding purpose and meaning is the most potent way to improve your productivity and performance. Explore “why” you’re working and focus on how you view your job.